Easy Honey Spelt Sandwich Bread
The recipe for this easy honey spelt sandwich bread is amazingly easy! There’s hardly any steps to it, in fact. This recipe produces such a tasty and fluffy loaf of bread. And the smell of it baking in the oven is incredible.
Before becoming a food blogger and creating my own recipes, I always looked for the simplest recipes for making bread.
So I completely understand that you would want a bread recipe that’s uncomplicated and easy to follow. And yet produces a loaf of bread that’s both nutritious and perfect for whatever sandwiches you make with it.
I know There’s So Many Bread Recipes Out There Already..
I’m sure you’ve seen the vast amount of sandwich bread recipes online already. The main reason why I published this bread recipe is because I didn’t want to keep it to myself.
I believe it was meant to be shared with all the other bread recipes. Each bread recipe you see online is unique, and not exactly the same. That’s why there will always be room for another one – at least that’s what I believe.
So if you have something to share with the world, go ahead and do it. You never know who will be inspired and encouraged by your unique contribution(s).
Why You Should Consider This Easy Honey Spelt Sandwich Bread Recipe
As the name implies – this bread recipe is pretty easy for mostly anyone, including beginner bakers.
And a big reason why you should consider trying out this bread recipe or even this honey whole-wheat one, is because making your own bread is absolutely amazing.
In the Beginning
For those of you who are regular bread bakers, you know what I’m talking about:) Yes – it’s quite a challenge in the beginning.
But as you do it more and more each time, you will hopefully begin to enjoy the process.
As for me, in the beginning I almost gave up on producing my own loaf of bread successfully. But over time, I grew to love making my own bread; and I look forward to doing it even more so now.
*Tip – Whenever you’re feeling a little stressed or down, this is the perfect time for you to bake some bread.
Making your own bread is therapeutic and relaxing. And the act of kneading the dough helps to relieve stress.
Last but not least, that incredible homemade bread scent in the air makes the whole process worth it (right?)*
How to Make This Easy Honey Spelt Sandwich Bread
– First things first, you will combine all of the wet ingredients together and warm to around 110 degrees. To keep things simple, just make sure it’s medium-warm; and not too hot. And you (and the yeast) are good to go.
This recipe calls for instant yeast** Therefore you can just add the dry ingredients (including the yeast) in with the wet ingredients.
**Note: If you prefer to use active dry yeast, add in the yeast with the wet ingredients. Then let the mixture sit for around five minutes until it starts to get foamy. At this point, you can proceed with the recipe.
-If the yeast doesn’t foam, then that’s a sign that the yeast is dead, and will cause a flat loaf of bread. In this case, you need to buy fresher yeast before proceeding with the recipe**
-After all the ingredients are combined, a soft dough should form. You have to knead the dough for at least ten minutes. Or if you have a bread machine, that should work also.
-After kneading the dough, it has to rise for an hour in a greased bowl. After this you will form the dough into a loaf shape, and fit it into a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Then the bread has to be left to rise again for 35 minutes until it doubles in size.
-Lastly you can opt to brush an egg wash over the top of the dough before baking it. This gives the crust a nice golden brown color.
Or you can wait till after the bread is taken out of the oven, and brush a little melted butter over the top. This will give the crust a nice shiny appearance.
Easy Honey Spelt Sandwich Bread Ingredients
It’s surprising how few ingredients that you need to make homemade bread.
Listed below are the ingredients that you will need to make this honey spelt sandwich bread:
- Warm Water (110 degrees): just make sure that the water is not too hot or too cold.
- Light Cooking Oil (organic canola, vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc.)
- Instant Yeast (or active dry yeast)
- Spelt Flour
- All-Purpose Flour
I hope to have calmed any anxiety you may have had about making bread from scratch. I too felt this way starting out.
But now I actually prefer making my own bread rather than buying it from the store. There’s just nothing like the taste and experience of making homemade bread!
If you have any feedback or comments on this bread recipe, I encourage you to share. Thank you so much, and be blessed:)
Easy Honey Spelt Sandwich Bread
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water *should be around 110 degrees*
- 1 tbsp light tasting oil such as organic canola, vegetable, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
- 2 tbsp honey use a tbsp less for a less sweet bread
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 standard packet) or 1 packet of active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + extra tbsp
- Add the water, honey, and oil to a large bowl and combine with a fork.Warm in microwave for less than a minute or so (depending on wattage) until the water is 110 degrees. Or till the water is lukewarm.Add in the instant yeast*, flours, and salt. Combine with a fork until a soft dough starts to form.*Active dry yeast – For active dry yeast, add the yeast to the lukewarm water mixture (water, honey, and oil). Let the mixture sit for at least five minutes. The yeast should turn foamy. After that, add in the flours and salt, and proceed with the recipe*
- Move the dough to a floured surface, and knead for 10 minutes*. Or you should be able to use a bread machine to knead it.*Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour as needed*Oil or grease the bowl lightly, then place the dough back in it. Roll the ball of dough around so that it’s coated in the oil. This will help to keep it easy to work with (less sticky) later on..
- Lightly cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and allow the dough to sit for an hour – preferably in a warm environment.The dough should be double in size now. Punch the dough down (gently, lol) to release the air inside.Move the dough to a floured surface. Pat or roll the dough into a small rectangular shape, then roll it into a log shape.*Make sure you pinch any loose seams in, and tuck the ends in*
- Fit the short log of dough into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Cover loosely and let it sit for 35 minutes. The dough should rise about an inch above the top of the pan.Brush the top of the dough (gently) with an egg wash (egg + 1/4 tsp water) if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 28-30 minutes until the top is browned to your liking. *Immediately brush the top of the bread with melted butter right after you take it out of the oven for a shinier crust*
- Allow the loaf to cool for a few minutes in the loaf pan first, before removing it to cool fully on a wire rack or other surface. Enjoy!