Easy Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread Pancakes
I now present this easy vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes recipe to you. These pancakes are absolutely incredible, let me tell you.
First of all, they’re wholesome and delicious. And they’re perfectly fluffy and moist as well. It’s basically like you’re eating cornbread in the form of a pancake. It can’t get any better than that, can it?
Other Cornbread Recipe Recommendations
I absolutely have to let you in on this chocolate cornbread waffle recipe. If you prefer to try this waffle recipe out first, I don’t blame you. I mean, chocolate – right? And I have to say that these waffles are pure delicious.
They’re vegan/dairy-free, but they taste amazingly like regular waffles. Moreover, they’re chocolatey, moist and perfectly fluffy. See for yourself.
On the other hand, I have a regular cornbread recipe as well. This is a non-dairy vegan cornbread recipe, but it’s absolutely delish and flavorful. Moreover, the texture and flavor of this cornbread matches any traditional cornbread.
Regarding this cornbread recipe, you don’t need eggs or dairy milk to make it. In fact, I used unsweetened almond milk; and it came out perfectly. But no worries. You can use regular milk instead, if you prefer. It’ll be delicious either way.
Vegan Buttermilk vs Regular Buttermilk
These easy vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes do not contain regular dairy buttermilk. They call for non-dairy/plant-based milk (I used unsweetened almond milk).
So how is it even possible to make buttermilk from non-dairy milk? Well technically, vegan buttermilk is not the same as regular buttermilk. But it is a great substitute for those who are vegan. And it only requires two ingredients.
Vegan buttermilk and regular buttermilk are derived from different sources. Vegan buttermilk is plant-based whereas regular buttermilk has an animal source. But they both have the same purpose. And that purpose is to add fluffiness and to help leaven the baked product.
How To Make Vegan Buttermilk – Super Easy!
Vegan buttermilk is the easiest to make. To make it, you typically combine a non-dairy milk such as soy or almond milk with vinegar. You can either use white or apple cider vinegar.
After that, it usually has to sit for a few minutes. This will cause the mixture to curdle and thicken some. That’s it! Easy peasy.
White Vinegar vs Apple Cider Vinegar
I mentioned earlier that you can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to make the vegan buttermilk for these pancakes. I have used white vinegar in the past, but now I prefer to use apple cider vinegar.
Maybe it’s because I’ve seen more people use apple cider vinegar in their baking recipes. Or maybe it’s just that I prefer the less acidic taste, as white vinegar is a little higher in acidity.
Either way, both vinegars can be used interchangeably in this easy vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes recipe. So, you don’t have to go to the store to get a specific one. Down the road, you may prefer one over the other though..
Easy Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread Pancakes Ingredients:
*Besides the cornmeal, you really don’t need a lot of ingredients to make these pancakes. I personally prefer to use fine cornmeal over coarse in my recipes.
I’m sure coarse cornmeal would work also, though. I would love to hear how it worked for you if you tried it in this recipe*
- Unsweetened Dairy-Free Milk (such as almond or soy): Or use regular milk for non-vegan.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cornmeal: I used fine cornmeal, as it’s less coarse and gritty. But if you prefer to use coarse cornmeal, that should work also.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract (optional but highly recommended)
- Vegetable or Organic Canola Oil (optional but adds a touch more flavor)
- Pure Maple Syrup: The imitation syrup doesn’t compare to this one. Pure maple syrup is not tainted with artificial ingredients, colors, etc. In short – it’s worth the extra couple of dollars cost..
I would love to know your thoughts on these easy vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes. Therefore any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much:)
Easy Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread Pancakes
- 3/4 cup dairy-free (or regular milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vegetable or organic canola oil, etc.
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- In small bowl combine the milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside to slightly thicken and curdle.
- In large mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients (cornmeal-salt).
- Add in the wet ingredients (vanilla extract if using-pure maple syrup, and also the milk and vinegar mixture from step 1). Combine batter until mostly smooth (some smallish lumps are normal).
- Heat frying pan on low-medium. Spray pan with oil spray. Use about 1/4 cup or so batter to make the pancakes. *This recipe should make from 4-5 pancakes depending on the size*Fry for 2 minutes on the first side (should be lightly browned). Then flip the pancake over, and cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings and enjoy!