Easy Vegan Cornbread Recipe
This easy vegan cornbread recipe is incredible. It’s a no-frills recipe that only requires basic ingredients. This cornbread is lightly crispy on the outside. And it’s soft and crumbly inside.
*Serve warm with a bit of butter and jam. Or you can enjoy it with a cozy bowl of chili. Either way – it’s bound to please any time of the year*
This easy vegan cornbread recipe is easy to make just like a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. You just need a few more simple ingredients. These ingredients can be found in most pantries already.
Moreover, you only need one large mixing bowl to combine all the ingredients together. Isn’t it always a relief for one less dish to wash? All in agreement..
Vegan Chocolate Cornbread Waffles
Cornmeal is actually pretty versatile, and it can be used for more than just cornbread. It can be used in waffles such as these vegan chocolate cornbread waffles.
These healthy waffles are truly decadent. And the slight coarseness of the cornmeal (I used fine) texture is incredible with the rich chocolate flavor. Oh, and last but not the least – these waffles are healthy. Wait till you see the ingredients.
Coarse or Finely Ground Cornmeal?
With all due respect, whether to use coarse or fine cornmeal is totally up to you. Therefore I can only tell you what type of cornmeal I personally used for this cornbread. I prefer to use finely ground cornmeal in my recipes. I just can’t get onboard with the super graininess of coarse cornmeal yet.
Usually coarse and finely ground cornmeal are interchangeable in a recipe. If you prefer a coarser crunchy texture to your cornbread, use coarse cornmeal. If you prefer a smoother/less coarse texture, just use fine cornmeal.
I’m sure there are some recipes out there that call for a specific cornmeal type. Just go ahead and try it. You may actually like it. Ultimately – you can choose to use your favorite cornmeal type in any recipe you make. Everyone has their own preferences and diversity when it comes to eating.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this easy vegan cornbread recipe:
- Cornmeal (fine or coarse): As I mentioned earlier, you can use whatever cornmeal you prefer. Fine cornmeal for a less coarse smoother texture. Coarse cornmeal for a more granular texture.
- All-Purpose Flour: With most cornbread recipes, you need to add flour along with the cornmeal. Cornmeal on its on is very gritty.
Therefore the texture needs to be balanced out by combining it with the flour. The only recipes where cornmeal is solely used include cornmeal mush, porridge, etc.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sugar: I’m one of those who prefer my cornbread to be kind of sweet. But it can’t be too sweet, if you know what I mean.
If you want your cornbread to be less sweet, just lessen the amount of sugar to a tablespoon. And if you prefer a sweeter cornbread, add 1/2-1 tablespoon more sugar or so.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: The addition of applesauce really helps to add healthy moisture, instead of an unhealthy amount of butter. The taste nor the texture of the cornbread is negatively affected at all. See for yourself.
- Melted Butter (dairy-free or regular): This cornbread tastes incredible with just one tablespoon of melted butter added. After all, butter is usually spread over cornbread before eating. So you don’t really need a lot for the actual recipe.
- Milk (dairy-free or regular): This recipe is pretty versatile. If you’re vegan, just make sure to use dairy-free butter and milk. If you’re not vegan – just use your regular milk and butter.
I’m so excited to hear what you think about this easy vegan cornbread recipe. I appreciate all comments and/or feedback as always. Thank you and God bless!
Easy Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups fine ground cornmeal (or if you prefer to use coarse, that should work also)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp melted butter (dairy-free or regular dairy)
- 1 1/4 cups and 2 tbsp dairy-free (or dairy) milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.In large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine all the dry ingredients (cornmeal-sugar).
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients (applesauce-milk). Combine (not overly) until mostly smooth. Smallish lumps may remain..
- Add batter to the greased pan and bake from 30-32 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.