Healthy Blueberry Cinnamon Roll
I thank God for inspiring me to create this healthy cinnamon roll recipe. It’s a one serving recipe, but this cinnamon roll can definitely serve 2 people – as it’s pretty filling. I have a whole-wheat cinnamon roll recipe that you’re sure to like as well.
On Instagram and on the web, I would see so many yummy and drool-worthy photos of cinnamon rolls. I would think to myself, ‘could I too create a cinnamon roll that looks just like this?’
There were so many doubts in my mind that I actually could. I thank God for dropping the word ‘blueberries’ into my head while I was pondering on how to create a healthy cinnamon roll recipe that wasn’t quite like everyone else’s.
*Don’t Doubt Yourself*
Self-doubt really tried to creep in here; because I never created a cinnamon roll recipe or much of any other recipe prior.
One of the things that can hold someone back from accomplishing many things is doubting one’s own abilities. Just brush past that negativity and pursue that idea or whatever it is that you feel led to do. It may just take you further than you could ever dare to dream.
Back to The Recipe:
This cinnamon roll is absolutely delicious by the way, ahem. And how can I forget to tell you how easy it is to make? The blueberries and cinnamon flavor is incredible. If you top this cinnamon roll with a little Greek yogurt it tastes even more amazing!
- All-purpose Flour: I feel that this flour type is optimal for this particular recipe.
- Sugar: Coconut or regular cane sugar can be used.
- Low-fat Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt is one of the main ingredients in this cinnamon roll. Therefore, it’s best to keep it healthy by using low-fat yogurt if at all possible – but it’ll work with full-fat as well.
- Melted Butter: I try to keep my use of butter to a minimum in my recipes, but a little doesn’t hurt to add a little flavor.
- Brown Sugar: I chose to use brown sugar in this recipe, but I’m regular sugar will work well also.
- Cinnamon: Of course..
- Blueberries: The stars of this cinnamon roll’s show. I used fresh organic blueberries, but frozen can also work.
I have no doubt that you will enjoy that burst of blueberries in your mouth as you consume this blueberry cinnamon roll. Let me know in the comments if you tried out this recipe!
Healthy Blueberry Cinnamon Roll
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or you can sub regular sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I’m sure full-fat would work also)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-2 1/2 tbsp fresh or completely frozen blueberries
- A tbsp and an additional tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1/2 cup flour, 2 teaspoons coconut or regular sugar, 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. *It’s easier if you use your fingers and knead it to combine it all the way* Add a couple more teaspoons flour if it’s still kind of wet and sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface; spread the dough into a small rectangle, and then spread a light layer (about two teaspoons) of melted butter over it evenly.
- Use a small handful (about two tablespoons) of fresh blueberries (I’m sure frozen would work as well) and place evenly over the buttered dough.
- Combine a tablespoon and a teaspoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon – then sprinkle most of it over all the dough and blueberries.
- Cut the dough into three long strips, then gently roll first strip into a tiny roll. Place the tiny roll over the second strip and then roll them up together, then onto the last strip likewise (now you should have a large cinnamon roll formed).
- Place roll in a lightly greased large ramekin or baking dish; spread a bit more melted butter over it, and then sprinkle remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture on top before baking for 25 minutes until lightly browned.