Scrumptious Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
This scrumptious vanilla mug cake recipe is sure to please any palette. Though it’s healthy, this little cake tastes beyond that for sure! It can easily be made vegan also (see recipe). If you prefer a non-mug cake recipe, check out this healthy vegan lemon snack cake recipe. Or even this whole-wheat chocolate chip mug cake recipe.
Have you ever eaten a mug cake? I’m relatively new to the concept of eating a cake in miniature form myself. Thanks to my being on Instagram – I learned about the existence of mug cakes.
What Makes Mug Cakes Perfect
Mug cakes are the perfect size if you want some cake all for yourself. And a mug cake recipe is usually easy to follow and doesn’t require many ingredients.
The texture of this vanilla mug cake is soft, moist, and fluffy – just like a regular cake. In addition, there’s only one little teaspoon of oil; so that you can enjoy every delicious bite without zero guilt.
Challenge Yourself Sometimes
Previously I steered away from creating mug cake recipes for the microwave. I only created mug cake recipes for oven baking.
This was mainly due to the fact that I didn’t feel up to the challenge of creating a mug cake recipe suitable for making in a microwave. Yes, it took a few times to finally get it right; but I was overjoyed at that delicious first bite!
Ever since that experience I’ve challenged myself to try and create recipes outside of my normal ones, such as this cinnamon roll recipe I recently created: healthy whole-wheat cinnamon rolls It’s certainly difficult to see beyond that hurdle or mountaintop, but don’t let it hold you back from achieving your goals.
Scrumptious Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe Ingredients
*FYI: You won’t regret eating this little mug cake with the easiest chocolate ganache – included in recipe*
- Chocolate chips: Required for the most chocolatey and easy to make ganache.
- Dairy-free or Regular Milk: Needed to thin out the ganache.
- Flour: All-purpose or even spelt flour are great choices.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- A little salt
- Vanilla Extract: Essential to add vanilla flavor to the cake.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Leavens the cake and helps it to bake nice and fluffy.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: An amazing sub for an unhealthy amount of oil or butter in many baking recipes.
- Oil: When I do use oil in my recipes, I almost always aim to keep the amount to a minimum.
- Dairy-Free or Regular Milk: Just by using either one, you can make this mug cake recipe vegan or non-vegan.
As I’ve mentioned previously, you won’t regret making this mug cake. And I welcome any feedback or comments about this scrumptious vanilla mug cake recipe. Thank you so much!
Scrumptious Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 tsp milk (dairy-free or regular)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose (or spelt) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp dairy-free or regular milk
- In a very small microwave bowl, combine 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and a couple teaspoons of unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk). Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave for 10 more seconds until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken.
- In a small bowl combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder + soda, and salt.
- Add in the wet ingredients: milk, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla extract. Combine until smooth.
- Add the batter to a large-sized greased ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 35 seconds. If needed, microwave for 10 to 15 seconds more.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before spreading some of the chocolate ganache on top.