Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
I can’t even begin to describe how amazing this vegan blueberry oatmeal bread is! It has it all – it’s healthy, super moist, and absolutely delicious. Best of all, the powdered sugar glaze just takes this vegan blueberry oatmeal bread completely over the top.
I Call it Being Half-Vegan
I’m sure you’re obviously wondering why I don’t label myself 100% vegan. I’d like to say that I’m half-vegan. I don’t want to cause any misunderstanding or confusion by telling you that I’m full vegan, but yet I post a recipe for salmon or chicken.
I’ve only been half-vegan for about a little over a year or so now – and I’m loving it! Moreover, I have the freedom to choose to eat dairy-free or dairy foods when it suits my tastes.
When I mention the word ‘freedom’, I mean that I, you, or anyone else for that matter; should not be swayed by anyone else’s opinion on what foods to eat. In this country, there are many healthy food options all around us. Those options include dairy and non-dairy.
Undoubtedly, there are those who’d like to believe that their way of doing things is king. But there is both good and bad in everything, is there not?
I’d like to think that there are healthy food choices such as chicken and fish in the non-vegan sector. (See this recipe for healthy chicken quesadillas) On the other hand there are healthy choices such as veggies and non-dairy beverages in the vegan sector.
Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal Bread Ingredients
This vegan blueberry oatmeal bread is super easy to make. And you only need one bowl to make it (amazing, isn’t it?). Additionally, the ingredients needed are clean and basic:
- Unsweetened Dairy-free Milk: I usually use Malk almond milk, but any milk will work.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps with the leavening and gives rise to the loaf.
- Quick-Cooking or Rolled Oats
- All-Purpose Flour
- Oat Flour (or you can use all-purpose flour)
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cinnamon: A little goes a long way to add more flavor to the loaf.
- Cane Sugar
- Salt: Just a small amount
- Vanilla Extract
- A Bit of Oil
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Optional – Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Of Course – Blueberries! You can use fresh or frozen for this recipe.
If you chose to try this vegan blueberry oatmeal bread recipe out, I really hope you’ve enjoyed every bite. And I’d love to hear how you liked it.
Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cup and 3 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (or you can use all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup and a couple tablespoons cane (regular) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp oil (organic canola, vegetable oil, etc)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from half a lemon
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the dairy-free or regular milk, apple cider vinegar, and the oats. (I used quick oats but rolled should work also). Set aside while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine all the following dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cane sugar and salt.
- Add in the following wet ingredients: the milk/oats mixture from step 1, vanilla extract, oil, unsweetened applesauce, and the optional freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Add the batter to an 8×5 inch loaf pan and bake from 55-60 minutes until well done. If you’d like to glaze the loaf – let it cool for a good while first before glazing it..
- *For the glaze simple combine a freshly squeezed half of a lemon, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth*.