Vegan Oat Flour Cake
I can’t wait for you to try out this healthy vegan oat flour cake recipe! It’s simple and super easy to make. But don’t worry – this cake is so moist and delicious.
*And if you haven’t already, you’ll see how amazing oat flour is (more on that below)*
It works well in many recipes due to its versatility and lightness – as well as to add moisture. This vegan oat flour cake recipe is one of them.
And be sure to check out this oil-free cinnamon oat muffin recipe as well.
Oat Flour: Comes Naturally From Oats
In fact, did you know that oat flour comes from just blending oats into a powder? Amazing, right?
Since I am not the proud owner of a high-powered blender as of yet, I resort to just buying my oat flour. The oat flour brand that I use most often, is by Arrowhead Mills.
This company is high on my list, because almost all of their food products are organic. And their food products are of very high quality.
Oat Flour is Definitely Worth Trying Out
As I was saying earlier, there are so many reasons why you should use oat flour more often. If you’ve never tried oat flour, or even heard of it; oftentimes its sold in most health food stores.
In addition, I’ve seen oat flour in a lot of grocery stores as well. It can usually be found on the shelf next to the other flours.
I created this healthy vegan cake recipe only with oat flour in mind. A big reason why, is because I love eating oatmeal. And oatmeal comes from oats, so there you go!
All jokes aside, as a child I’ve always enjoyed a warm filling bowl of oats. And I’ve never grew tired of it even to this day.
Incredible Health Benefits of Oat Flour
Oat flour is great in that it provides soluble dietary fiber – which helps to lower blood cholesterol.
In addition, oat flour can contribute to a healthy heart. And it can even help to stabilize your blood pressure, among other things (source). Pretty amazing, right?
Vegan Oat Flour Cake Ingredients
It really doesn’t take much ingredients to make this vegan oat flour cake. But I’ll list them so you’ll know what you need beforehand.
- Oat Flour: What’s not to love about it? It’s good for you, adds a pleasant nutty flavor, and benefits your body in so many ways.
- All-Purpose Flour: The addition of this flour along with the oat flour, adds lightness to the cake’s texture.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Coconut Sugar: This sugar worked well in this recipe. I’m not sure how another sugar would work. But you can always experiment!
- Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk: This is the milk I used in this recipe, but you can always use regular milk if you’d like.
- Vanilla Extract: You only need a small amount to add so much flavor to this cake.
- Oil (light cooking oil): You only need a very small amount for this recipe to keep this cake healthy as well as to add flavor.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: This is my secret ingredient for not using as much oil in this cake recipe. And it adds moisture at the same time.
- Yogurt: As this is a vegan cake, you can use dairy-free or even dairy yogurt with equal results: a moist and soft texture.
I do hope that you’ll give oat flour a chance if you haven’t already.
And if you try out this vegan oat flour cake recipe, I’d love to know how it turned out for you. Have a blessed day!
Vegan Oat Flour Cake
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (or use regular milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (you can also experiment and try another sugar if you’d like)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp oil (canola, vegetable, etc)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp dairy-free yogurt (or just use regular Greek yogurt for non-vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside..
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients (flours – coconut sugar)
- Add in milk/vinegar mixture and other wet ingredients (vanilla extract-yogurt) and combine until mostly smooth. *A few smallish lumps are normal*
- Pour batter into greased 8 inch round baking pan. Bake from 28-30 minutes.
- Use your own frosting or this simple vanilla frosting recipe:In large bowl, combine all the following ingredients on high speed with hand mixer for a few minutes – until completely smooth.1 cup powdered sugar, 3 tbsp softened butter, 1/2 tbsp milk of choice (use a little less for thicker consistency), and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.