Yummy Chocolate Oat Breakfast Cake
If you’re in the mood for a special breakfast treat, then I implore you to try out this super yummy chocolate oat breakfast cake recipe. Now I don’t know about you, but I’m kinda big on sweets. Let me rephrase that, ‘I’m kind of big on sweets in moderation‘.
This cake is all that it should be. It’s moist, super chocolatey, and yet still healthy. Don’t worry – no cause for guilt eating this for breakfast:)
*By the way, this cake makes two small servings. Unless you want it all to yourself, that is…*
Limit Your Sugar Intake if You Can
Yes, I do admit to having a sweet tooth; but as long as what I’m eating is not too sweet. Hence, this yummy chocolate oat breakfast cake doesn’t contain too much sugar.
There’s just enough to where it’s not an overload of sweetness. But you can definitely add in more if you want to after testing it.
Try Out These Low-Sugar Recipes
You really don’t need to add a whole lot of sugar for something to taste good, honestly. And the true flavor of a food really shines through without masking it with the sweetness of sugar.
During my recipe creating process, I don’t just use add a huge amount of sugar from the jump. I add it in in small amounts until I’m satisfied with the results.
I’m a fan of savory food as well as sweet food. Oftentimes though, I choose to sit down with a bowl of cereal. Mind you, I love a bowl of cheesy grits too! For the most part, it’s best to eat cereals such as whole-grain and fiber that are somewhat low in sugar.
Now if you have to add sugar to a bland bowl of cereal, please do. But try to not just dump it all in there.
Try adding about a teaspoon at a time until it reaches the level of sweetness you desire. At least, that’s how I do it. This helps to reduce the amount of sugar you’re adding.
Yummy Chocolate Oat Breakfast Cake Ingredients
You only need simple ingredients to make this breakfast cake. And it’s so easy to make as well.
- All-Purpose Flour: I haven’t tested this recipe with another flour. But there’s nothing wrong if you’d like to experiment with another one.
- Baking Powder: This is where all that chocolate flavor comes from. And it’s healthy too.
- Baking Soda
- Cocoa Powder
- Oats: Recommended over rolled oats – due to the small size of this mug cake.
- Coconut Sugar: I used this sugar because the flavor goes well with chocolate. In addition, it has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar.
- Ground Flaxseed (optional): This is very good for you as it contains omega-3s. Can’t have enough of that!
- Vanilla Extract: Without this, this cake won’t have as much flavor (at all).
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This secret ingredient adds to all that fluffy and soft texture.
- Light Oil: You really don’t have to add any oil if you prefer not to. It’s a very small amount, but it gives the cake a more richer taste, IMO (in my opinion).
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Another secret ingredient that adds moisture without having to add a lot of oil.
- Milk: You can use regular or dairy-free milk for this recipe. Anyone can enjoy this cake – vegan or not.
This yummy chocolate oat breakfast cake can be enjoyed beyond breakfast, in fact. You can make it for dessert or even a light snack.
Your Feedback is Appreciated
If you made this yummy chocolate oat breakfast cake recipe, I’d love to know you’re feedback on it.
It’s always nice to know another person’s opinion. And it would help me to make adjustments or tweaks to improve the recipe if need be.
Thank you so much, and God bless>
Chocolate Oat Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp quick-cooking oats
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or 1 1/2 tbsp regular sugar )
- (Optional) 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup milk (non-dairy or regular)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl combine all the ingredients until mostly smooth.
- Divide batter between two greased ramekins, and bake for approximately 33 minutes. Let cool a bit before eating. Enjoy!