Amazing Lazy Baked Pasta With Tuna
I’m sure that you’ll agree with me that this amazing lazy baked pasta with tuna is truly amazing! I wanted to create a baked pasta recipe that is healthy and nourishing – along with being super easy to make.
And of course, this baked pasta is absolutely beyond delish. I and my mom aka recipe taste tester, completely gobbled it up. And we both even went back for seconds. I’m telling you, it’s so good:)
I can’t reiterate enough how tasty this amazing lazy baked pasta with tuna is. Being that it’s so easy to make, you’d think it wouldn’t be so delicious. Oh, but it is.
The combination of pasta, cheese and chunks of tuna is incredible. I’m actually in shock myself at how tasty it is. And as I’m a big fan of anything whole-grain, I used whole-wheat penne. Game changer for sure!
If you prefer to use regular pasta, it will still be just as delicious. But the earthy wholesome taste of the whole-wheat pasta tastes incredible with the tuna. If you haven’t tried whole-wheat pasta yet, try it for this recipe:)
*I would suggest you use penne or rotini pasta for this recipe*
About Canned Tuna
*The addition of tuna is a great way of adding protein to this pasta. Or you can leave it out completely for a vegetarian option*
I find using canned tuna in recipes to be such a convenient time-saver. It comes already cooked, so you can use it straightaway.
Tuna in Water or Oil?
I’m sure you already know, but there are two kinds of tuna – tuna in oil and tuna in water. I’ve tried both, and they’re both really great healthy choices.
I do find the tuna in oil to be more flavorful, though. The Whole Foods brand tuna in oil is a great choice for this pasta. Or try Wild Planet tuna, another great choice. And their tuna is fairly low in mercury.
Those are just my recommendations. You can use whatever tuna you want to. The pasta will be delicious and nourishing either way..
I’m More of a Baker, But..
Besides this pasta recipe, I think you’ll also like these delicious healthy chicken and cheese quesadillas. They’re really easy to make also.
May I also recommend these easy-to-make whole-grain cheddar rolls to go with this pasta? You can even make them the day before if you want to.
How to Make This Easy Baked Pasta Recipe
This pasta dish is great for a busy weeknight meal or even lunch. The only on-the-stove cooking you have to do is to boil the pasta till al dente. That’s usually only around 10-11 minutes for penne pasta.
I’m not sure about rotini pasta, but it should be around the same time. You don’t want to boil the pasta all the way, since it’s going to be baked.
After the pasta is done and drained, you will combine it with the tuna and other ingredients. Then you will add the pasta to a greased casserole dish, and sprinkle with shredded cheese before baking. See how easy it is to make?
Amazing Lazy Baked Pasta With Tuna Recipe Ingredients
Get this! You only need five ingredients to make this pasta. That’s what makes it so amazing – along with being so easy to make and tasty.
- Penne or Rotini Pasta: You can use regular or whole-wheat (try whole-wheat:)
- Jar of Pasta Sauce (2 1/2 cups needed)
- 2 5oz cans tuna in oil (drained): You can
- Shredded Cheese: You can use mozzarella or whatever other shredded cheese you have on hand. I had some Mexican style shredded cheese in the fridge already – so I used that.
- Salt (to taste)
I really hope you enjoy this super simple and cost-effective amazing lazy baked pasta with tuna recipe. Be blessed>
Amazing Lazy Baked Pasta With Tuna
- 1 16 oz box of penne or rotini pasta
- 2 1/2 cups pasta sauce (jarred or homemade)
- 2 5 oz cans tuna (drained)
- Salt (for seasoning)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or whatever shredded cheese you want to try)
- Toppings: parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil or parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Boil the pasta only to al dente (around 11 minutes).
- After draining the pasta, add it to a very large bowl. Add in the pasta sauce, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, and the drained tuna.Stir the mixture very well. Taste and add a little more salt if needed.
- Grease a 2-3 quart casserole dish. Add the pasta mixture, and even out the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese and parmesan, if desired.Bake uncovered for 24-28 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned, and the pasta is heated throughout(If you need to – bake the pasta for a couple more minutes)
- Sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley before serving.