Vegan Banana Waffles
These vegan banana waffles are absolutely delicious! In addition, they’re so easy to make. I made mine in my mini waffle maker by Dash. Honestly, I don’t know why it took me so long to buy a waffle maker; but I’m glad I finally did.
This being a vegan waffle recipe isn’t set in stone. If you’re not vegan, no problem! Just substitute the dairy-free milk for regular milk, and you’re good to go!
Team Waffles or Team Pancakes?
One of the first waffle recipes that I created are these healthy chocolate dairy-free waffles. Now, there is a debate on which is better – pancakes or waffles. I honestly do not prefer one over the other. If I may ask – do you prefer one over the other?
I have to admit – I do make pancakes more than waffles. It’s not that pancakes are easier to make than waffles. Maybe it’s something to do with getting out that dusty waffle maker, perhaps?
Vegan Banana Waffles Ingredients
Indeed, it doesn’t take a lot of ingredients to make these vegan banana waffles. Moreover, all you need is one bowl. Now doesn’t that sound just incredible? And I’m sure you have most of the ingredients on hand already.
- Flour: The recipe calls for a blend of spelt and all-purpose flour, but you can choose to use just all-purpose if you’d like.
- Cornstarch: I’ve made a few vegan waffle recipes (not my own) in the past. And, I learned that adding in cornstarch helps give waffles a lightly crispy texture.
- Salt: Oftentimes, I add just a small amount of salt in my recipes to add more flavor.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Nutmeg: I added just a trace amount of nutmeg to add a hint of flavor.
- Cinnamon: I chose to add in cinnamon as well, because why not?
- A Mashed Ripe Banana: Make sure the banana you use is very ripe, as it will be easier for you to mash it.
- Vanilla Extract: You can choose to omit it from a recipe that calls for it. But the flavor will be less than optimal.
- Dairy-Free Milk: I used dairy-free milk for this recipe. But if you’re not vegan, just use regular milk instead.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Indeed, at first; it sounded pretty weird to me to use applesauce in a cake or waffle recipe. But now I do it without hesitation.
This is because applesauce adds plenty of moisture. It can also be used to replace part or all the amount of oil or butter that is called for in a recipe. This helps to keep your favorite dessert more healthy.
I’d love to hear from you if you’ve tried out this recipe or have any yummy photos to share! Thank you so much!
Vegan Banana Waffles
- 1/2 cup spelt (or regular all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 mashed very ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup dairy-free or regular milk
- Preheat your waffle maker. In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour-cinnamon).
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients together (mashed banana-milk). It’s easier to use a fork to do this.Afterwards, add the combined wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- You’re now ready to make some waffles according to your mini or regular-sized waffle maker instructions. Enjoy!