Jiffy Vegan Cornbread
This easy Jiffy vegan cornbread is incredible! It’s basically Jiffy cornbread in a vegan form. This recipe that requires just a little more ingredients than a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. Even so, the batter takes only minutes to make. Just like Jiffy..
Jiffy cornbread is known to have a somewhat dry texture. In contrast – this cornbread is perfectly moist, soft, and has that classic crumbly texture. Most of all, this cornbread is homemade and healthy at the same time.
Since Jiffy cornbread is on the sweeter side, this cornbread has a sweet taste; but not overly so.. I believe it has the perfect amount of sweetness. But of course, you can customize the amount of sugar added to your liking.
You Can Customize This Recipe to Your Liking..
If you’re not vegan, you may want to make this recipe; but don’t usually use nondairy products. Don’t worry, just use regular milk instead. That’s the only nondairy ingredient that you would have to substitute for this recipe.
Just one of the many reasons why I love baking and cooking from scratch. You’re able to make adjustments to a recipe that suits your preferences and dietary needs.
Better still, you usually don’t need as many ingredients as a store-brought version. And the ingredients you do need aren’t artificially or chemically processed as some store-brought ones are.
*This Jiffy vegan cornbread is best eaten warm with a bit of butter and/or jam. Or you can enjoy it with a cozy bowl of chili. Either way – it’s bound to please any time of the year*
Moreover, to make this cornbread; you only need one bowl to combine all the ingredients together. Isn’t it always a relief for one less dish to wash? All in agreement..
Vegan Chocolate Cornbread Waffles
Cornmeal is actually pretty versatile, and it can be used for more than just cornbread. It can be used in waffles such as these scrumptious vegan chocolate cornbread waffles.
These healthy waffles are truly decadent. And the slight coarseness of the cornmeal (I used fine) texture is incredible with the rich chocolate flavor. Oh, and last but not the least – these waffles are healthy. Wait till you see the ingredients.
Coarse or Finely Ground Cornmeal?
Jiffy cornbread is made of fine cornmeal. Therefore I used the same for this cornbread recipe. But since this is a homemade recipe, you can use any cornmeal type you want: fine or coarse. But I do believe fine cornmeal works best for this cornbread.
Usually coarse and finely ground cornmeal are interchangeable in a recipe. If you prefer a coarser crunchy texture to your cornbread, use coarse cornmeal.
If you prefer a smoother/less coarse texture, just use fine cornmeal. Mostly everyone has their own preferences when it comes to eating habits.
Jiffy Vegan Cornbread Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need to make this Jiffy vegan cornbread recipe:
- Cornmeal (fine or coarse): As I mentioned earlier, you can use whatever cornmeal you prefer. Fine cornmeal for a less coarse smoother texture. Coarse cornmeal for a more granular texture.
- All-Purpose Flour: With most cornbread recipes, you need to add flour along with the cornmeal. Cornmeal on its on is very gritty.
Therefore the texture needs to be balanced out by combining it with the flour. The only recipes where cornmeal is solely used include cornmeal mush, porridge, etc.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sugar: I’m one of those who prefer my cornbread to be kind of sweet. But it can’t be too sweet, if you know what I mean.
If you want your cornbread to be less sweet, just lessen the amount of sugar to a tablespoon. And if you prefer a sweeter cornbread, add 1/2-1 tablespoon more sugar or so.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: The addition of applesauce really helps to add healthy moisture, instead of an unhealthy amount of butter. The taste nor the texture of the cornbread is negatively affected at all. See for yourself.
- Melted Butter (dairy-free or regular): This cornbread tastes incredible with just one tablespoon of melted butter added. After all, butter is usually spread over cornbread before eating. So you don’t really need a lot for the actual recipe.
- Milk (dairy-free or regular): This recipe is pretty versatile. If you’re vegan, just make sure to use dairy-free butter and milk. If you’re not vegan – just use your regular milk and butter.
I’m so excited to hear what you think about this cornbread recipe! I appreciate all comments and/or feedback as always. Thank you and God bless.
Jiffy Vegan Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups fine ground cornmeal (or if you prefer to use coarse, that should work also)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp melted butter (dairy-free or regular dairy)
- 1 1/4 cups and 4 tbsp dairy-free (or dairy) milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.In large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine all the dry ingredients (cornmeal-sugar).
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients (applesauce-milk). Combine (not overly) until mostly smooth. Smallish lumps may remain..**The batter may be too thick for your taste. If so, just add an extra tbsp or so to thin it out some**
- Add batter to the greased pan and bake from 30-32 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.