Vegan Blueberry Lemon Cake
Oh my yum, how absolutely delicious this vegan blueberry lemon cake loaf is! You’ll see what I mean after that first bite.
And once you see how easy it is to make, I’m sure you’ll be making it quite often. As well as being requested by your friends/family to make it.
There’s such an explosion of lemony flavor in every slice, but it’s not an overpowering one. I love the taste of lemon, but I didn’t want this loaf to taste too tart or anything. No lemon overload allowed..
Therefore, the lemon flavor is toned down to a pleasant lemon flavor that complements the blueberries perfectly. In addition, the addition of fresh lemon zest adds even more depth of lemon flavor to this cake loaf.
What Does Cake Loaf Mean?
I know you’re probably wondering why I’m calling this a cake loaf. The term just implies a cake that’s made in a loaf pan. It’s more easier and less time-consuming compared to baking a cake in multiple cake pans for a layer cake.
In addition, you don’t have to worry about having enough frosting to frost it with, because of its smaller size. In the case of this vegan blueberry lemon cake, we’re just going to top the loaf with a simple lemon glaze.
You could leave the glaze off, but I really recommend that you add the glaze. It adds even more flavor to the loaf. And a little more lemon flavor also, if that’s what you’re going for. Why not, right?
Alternative Blueberry Loaf Recommendation (without lemon)
If you’re not a fan of lemon, then be sure to check out this vegan blueberry oatmeal bread recipe. This bread (or loaf) is super delish and moist. And it tastes amazing, and is full of nutritious ingredients such as oats and blueberries.
It’s perfect for dessert or even breakfast. And you can’t even tell it doesn’t contain dairy, as it tastes like it does.
Tastes Anything But Vegan..
I too was guilty of thinking vegan food must be tasteless or taste less-than. But oh no, vegan food can taste just as delicious as regular food. With this vegan blueberry lemon cake recipe, I hope to confirm that.
Most of the flavor and texture of non-vegan desserts comes from ingredients such as eggs, dairy milk, etc. Thank God for alternatives, right?
As with this recipe you won’t regret making, it contains a combination of oil and yogurt (non-dairy or regular dairy – if you prefer).
Yogurt together with oil is perfect for ensuring moistness in desserts. And it helps to contribute a light fluffy texture.
*This Lemon Blueberry Loaf Can Be Made With Dairy Ingredients As Well*
If you’re not vegan, but are still on the fence about making this loaf – go right ahead! Just substitute the dairy-free yogurt (such as 365 almond milk yogurt by Whole Foods) and milk for regular dairy products.
I love creating versatile and stress-free recipes that anyone can make. There’s no enjoyment in being barred from making a recipe because it’s only for vegans or only non-vegans. Don’t you agree?
Vegan Blueberry Lemon Loaf Ingredients:
You’d be pleased to know that it doesn’t take much ingredients to make this lemon loaf. If anything, you may just have to buy a couple of things you usually don’t keep on hand.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Salt: A must to bring all the flavors together.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cane Sugar: I recommend organic cane sugar, as it’s not processed or treated with pesticides. Or just use what sugar you usually use.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice comes from a natural source, and tastes better than from a bottle or jar. If you must use bottled lemon juice, it’s best to use an organic one. Any other lemon juice will most likely throw off the taste of this blueberry lemon loaf.
- Zest From a Medium/Large Lemon
- Vanilla Extract: Adds an extra element of flavor.
- Light Cooking Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Or you can just use regular oil.
- Non-Dairy Yogurt: Or you can substitute regular yogurt instead.
- Unsweetened Dairy-Free Milk or Regular Dairy Milk
- Fresh Blueberries (recommended): If you use frozen blueberries, just make sure they’re still frozen solid when you add them to the batter. This way, they won’t discolor it. Even if it does, the loaf will still be super yum!
I hope that this vegan blueberry lemon cake is enjoyed by you and whoever you serve it to. I’d love to know what you think of this recipe in the comments section below. Thank you so much, and have a blessed day:)
Vegan Blueberry Lemon Cake
- 9×5 inch loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp + an extra 2 tsp sugar
- Zest from a medium to large lemon
- 2 tbsp + an extra tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp light cooking oil
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp non-dairy yogurt or regular dairy Greek or non-Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup + 6 tbsp and an extra tsp dairy-free or regular milk
- 1/2 cup + an extra tbsp fresh (recommended) or frozen blueberries *combine gently with 1/2 tsp flour before adding to the batter to prevent them from sinking to the bottom*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray loaf pan with oil spray (blot any excess oil). Set aside.Mise en place: Gather all of your ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to combine all of the dry ingredients (flour – sugar) together thoroughly. Or you can sift them together.
- Add the wet ingredients (lemon juice – milk) and lemon zest to the wet ingredients. *Exclude the blueberries for now*Combine just until the batter is mostly smooth with smallish lumps.Add in the blueberries, and gently fold them into the batter. *Make sure to combine the blueberries with a little flour to help them not sink to the bottom of the batter – unless you don’t mind*
- Add the batter to the loaf pan, making sure to smooth the top evenly. Add a few extra blueberries on top, if desired..
- Bake the loaf for 38-40 minutes. Make sure to check the middle with a fork or toothpick to confirm doneness. Remove the loaf from the pan after 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool fully before glazing.
- Easy Lemon Glaze: Combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tbsp + an extra 4 tsp fresh lemon juice.After glazing the loaf, allow it to sit for 8-10 minutes. This will allow it to set properly before serving.