Easy and Moist Spelt Muffins
These easy and moist spelt muffins may look plain and basic, but there’s more to them than that! Let me tell you, these muffins are so delicious and full of flavor.
They also contain some very nutritious ingredients, which is an added bonus.
What You’ll Love About These Spelt Muffins:
They Have the Most Amazing Flavor
Beside being absolutely easy to make, these spelt muffins have a soft melt in your mouth texture. They have a nutty and wholesome flavor. And just enough sugar to add a hint of sweetness.
They’re so good, that I wouldn’t blame you if you ate more than one. I may have done that myself. Hey, at least they’re healthy at the same time.
On that note, these delicious muffins are healthy enough to eat whenever you want to. For a healthy dessert or as part of a healthy breakfast, or just anytime; really.
They’re Healthy, but Taste Anything But
Honestly, after biting into one of these muffins; you’ll forget they’re even healthy. You can add in a small amount of chocolate chips if you’d like, and they’ll still be healthy.
You can also experiment; and add chopped nuts, oats, etc to the batter. Up to 1/2 cup should be sufficient. Or you can enjoy them without any add-ins.
Easy One-Bowl Recipe
Fortunately, you’re only going to need one large mixing bowl to make these muffins. I love the convenience of only needing one bowl for a recipe. Who looks forward to having to wash multiple dishes, right?
Unless you’re blessed to have a dishwasher, of course. Whether you have one or not, there’s less cleanup later on. First, the dry ingredients; then the wet ingredients are added in.
After that, all of the ingredients are combined together; then left to sit for 10 minutes. This serves to improve the texture of the muffins.
The last thing, is to add the batter to a muffin pan and bake some of the most yummy muffins.
By the way, this recipe yields 11 muffins. If you add any additional ingredients to the batter, it may yield an extra muffin.
Nutritional Benefits of Spelt Flour
You may or may not be familiar with spelt flour, but it is quite a healthy addition to one’s diet. Spelt flour is known to be classified as an “ancient grain”.
This is because spelt has been around since 5000 BC (source). Amazing, I know. Spelt flour also has some amazing health benefits along with its great taste.
Spelt flour is whole grain, which means it’s an excellent source of fiber. Fiber is known to help reduce spikes in the blood sugar after eating (source). Fiber also helps to improve the digestive system.
Spelt flour also is a source of calcium, zinc and iron; which are also very important for the body. FYI: You can find spelt flour at most health food stores such as Whole Foods, etc.
Easy and Moist Spelt Muffins Ingredients:
You really don’t need many ingredients for this muffin recipe. All of the ingredients that you will need are pretty basic ones.
- Spelt Flour
- All-Purpose Flour: A mixture of spelt and all-purpose flour ensures a light texture to the muffins.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar/Cane Sugar
- Vanilla Extract: Adds extra flavor to the muffins. You don’t want to leave this out..
- Light Cooking Oil: Such as vegetable oil, organic canola oil, etc.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps the muffins to rise even better.
- An Egg (room temp): You can get away with using an egg straight from the fridge. But a room temp egg will be easier to incorporate into the batter. This way, you won’t have to over-stir it.
- Dairy or Dairy Free Milk
Let me know how you liked these spelt muffins. I would appreciate a rating below as well. Thank you so much, and be blessed.
Easy and Moist Spelt Muffins
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + extra tsp sugar can add a bit more if you’d like
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp light oil of your choice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg *room temp recommended*
- 1 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp dairy or dairy free milk (room temp recommended) add a bit more as needed, since not all measurements are perfectly equal
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.Gather all of the necessary ingredients and utensils, including the muffin pan(s).Grease 11 muffin cavities with oil. Or line them with cupcake liners and spray them lightly with oil spray (less messy, and easier clean-up).
- Add all of the dry ingredients (flour – sugar) to a large mixing bowl. Combine thoroughly. You can also add in any chocolate chips, chopped nuts, etc now.
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients, including the egg. Combine all of the ingredients, until the batter is mostly smooth with no large floury lumps. Some smallish lumps will remain..
- Divide the batter between the muffin pan cavities. Can top with chocolate chips or other toppings if you’d like.
- Bake for about 22 minutes, or a minute more if necessary. Let cool a few minutes before serving.