Healthy Double Chocolate Whole-Wheat Cookies
These healthy double chocolate whole-wheat cookies are quite delicious, I have to say. And they’re packed with whole-grain goodness. And may I add that these cookies are super easy to make? In addition, since I’m sure you’re wondering – they’re perfectly chewy and soft.
Chocolate Banana Oat Cookies
I mustn’t forget to let you know about a few other easy-to-make cookie recipes here on the blog. And they’re all healthy of course, as well as delicious. The first runner up are these chocolate banana oat breakfast cookies.
I know, I know – eating a cookie for breakfast sounds weird; right? So many people (including myself) are used to just eating a their usual bowl of cereal or oatmeal. And unfortunately, there are those who forego eating breakfast at all. These breakfast cookies are perfect in these situations.
They’re yummy and contain the most nutritious ingredients. And you can even make them the day before – for a quick breakfast on the go.
Single Serve Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie
The second runner up is this whole-wheat chocolate chip cookie. It only serves one person. But you can easily double the ingredients for an extra serving or two. This is an easy microwave cookie recipe. It’s chewy and perfectly gooey – just don’t microwave it longer than the recipe states. I haven’t tried baking it, but you can certainly try. I would bake at 350 degrees for around 10-12 minutes.
Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
The third runner up are these double chocolate oatmeal cookies. These cookies are so decadent, soft, and chewy. And you can’t go wrong with a cookie that contains chocolate and oats, right?
Whole Wheat Flour In a Cookie
I could’ve created these healthy double chocolate whole-wheat cookies with regular flour. But whole-wheat flour too can be successfully used in a variety of baked goods. Just look on the front of a package of King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour (one of my favorite organic flour brands).
It states that this whole-wheat flour is ideal for a variety of recipes including cookies, brownies, and even pancakes. I happened to see this while in the grocery store one day. And the wheels started turning soon thereafter (thank you God!) – to create a cookie containing whole-wheat flour.
But Double Chocolate Chip?
How can I tell you confidently that these cookies are healthy when they’re double chocolate chip? Well, because these healthy double chocolate whole-wheat cookies only contain 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Unless you’d like to add more.
Adding to that, these cookies are made with cocoa powder. Now, cocoa powder is a healthy form of chocolate. Cocoa powder actually contains 11 health and nutrition benefits. I found this info here at infoline.com. See for yourself how amazing it is.
These healthy double chocolate whole-wheat cookies only require a few basic ingredients:
- Whole-Wheat Flour
- Regular (All-Purpose) Flour: Whole-wheat flour is more dense than your average flour. Therefore, you can mix it with regular flour for a lighter texture in most recipes. Otherwise just use it by itself.
- Baking Soda
- Cocoa Powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips: In most of my recipes containing chocolate chips, I prefer using the mini ones. They’re more easily dispersed, and I just like the smaller size. But go ahead and use regular size chocolate chips if you’re a fan of them!
- Oil: You can use canola oil (organic is best/less processed) or regular vegetable oil for this recipe. There’s only one tablespoon needed.
- Vanilla Extract: I don’t think you would want to not add this in. The recipe only calls for a small amount, but it adds so much flavor.
- Coconut Sugar: It was just my preference to use this sugar type. Regular cane sugar would work as well.
- Unsweetened applesauce: Yes – this is another secretly healthy ingredient. By using applesauce, you’re cutting down the amount of oil needed for these cookies. And it also helps to add moisture.
I would love to know if you’ve tried out this healthy double chocolate whole-wheat cookie recipe. I hope you enjoy it, and I would greatly appreciate any comments or feedback. Thank you!
Healthy Double Chocolate Whole-Wheat CookiesHomecooknblog
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini/regular)
- 1 tbsp oil (organic canola/vegetable)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup and 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar (or regular should work fine)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (add a couple more teaspoons (one at a time) if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 20-25 minutes.
- On parchment-lined baking sheet – form around 12-13 medium(ish) cookies. Press down on top to slightly flatten, and bake for 11-12 minutes. Let cool slightly.