Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
This vegan lemon poppy seed loaf is so good! The lemon flavor combined with the tantalizing crunchiness from the poppy seeds is so incredible. Makes you want to reach for another slice (which you know I did).
I’m sure you also want to know about the texture. Well, let me enlighten you on that. This vegan lemon poppy seed loaf has a soft moist texture.
I would say it’s between the texture of a regular cake and a pound cake. And a simple lemon glaze makes it even more delectable. A pleasant eating experience indeed..
Low in Sugar
This loaf is also healthy. It’s low-fat and doesn’t contain a lot of sugar. In fact, there’s only 1/4 cup in the whole loaf. This is lower than what most lemon loaf recipes call for. But even though it’s low in sugar, it still has the perfect amount of sweetness.
After you add the glaze, the loaf will be considerably sweeter. Therefore it’s best for the loaf itself to not be too sweet. Unless you have a big sweet tooth, that is..
Easy One-Bowl Recipe
I’m not the biggest fan of recipes that require you to use multiple bowls to make them. I’m sure you’re not either. It takes more time, and there’s more dirty dishes to clean. Therefore you will find that a majority of my recipes consist of a one-bowl method.
In addition, you don’t need to use a hand mixer or other appliance to make this loaf. This helps to save on time as well. All of the ingredients are combined by hand in one bowl: easy and simple.
Benefits You Get From Adding Poppy Seeds
The addition of poppy seeds adds some amazing health benefits to this loaf, along with an eye-catching appearance.
Poppy Seeds (also spelled: poppyseeds) contain omega 3s, which is great for heart health. They are also rich in dietary fiber, iron and calcium among a few others (source).
I must admit, I really didn’t think of poppyseeds as being such an essential ingredient. There’s definitely more to them than meets the eye, as we can see..
This is a Versatile Recipe (can be made vegan or non-vegan)..
I’m sure that some of you may be wondering if you can make this loaf with regular dairy ingredients. In answer to that – yes, you definitely can.
Just substitute any nondairy ingredients that this recipe calls for with your usual dairy products. The only dairy product that you need for this recipe is milk.
Therefore, you would only have to substitute dairy milk for the nondairy one. Easy peasy..
How to Make This Poppy Seed Loaf
This batter for this vegan lemon poppy seed loaf doesn’t take very long to make. I believe I’ve accomplished my goal of making this recipe to be super quick and easy.
Essentially, this recipe consists of only two main steps. The first step involves combining all of the dry ingredients, including the poppyseeds; in a large bowl.
The next step involves adding in the wet ingredients, including fresh lemon zest. You will then combine everything until the batter comes together. It’s important to not over-mix the batter, so that the loaf’s texture won’t be affected.
More Loaf Recipes For You to Consider
I know you’ve got your full attention on this vegan lemon poppy seed loaf. But here are a few more easy and delish loaf recipes for your consideration.
I would like to inform you that these recipes can also be made with regular dairy products, if you prefer.
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Ingredients:
The ingredients needed for you to make this poppy seed loaf are listed below. They are basic simple ingredients that you probably have on hand already. Or at least, most of them..
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Poppy Seeds: Usually found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores.
- Sugar: Regular cane sugar works great.
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest: Do make sure that they are from an actual lemon. Any other imitation lemon juice won’t taste the same. If you prefer a bottled juice, I would recommend that you use organic lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Organic Canola or Vegetable Oil: You can also substitute melted butter if you wish.
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk: You can use dairy-free or regular.
- Lemon Glaze Ingredients: Powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.
I hope that you’re satisfied with this vegan lemon poppy seed loaf recipe. If you’d like, comment below. Thank you, and God bless!
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- 1 9×5 inch loaf pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp poppy seeds can use more or less
- 1/4 cup and 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Fresh zest and juice from a medium sized lemon
- 2 tbsp oil or the oil you usually use in your baked goods
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free or regular milk use a tad more if your batter is too thick
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and oil the loaf pan and set aside.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl (flour – sugar). Combine very well, or sift together.Add in the fresh lemon zest, juice and other wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixture.Combine just until the batter comes together, with no large lumps left. Some small lumps will remain, which is normal.
- Add the batter to the loaf pan, make sure the top is evenly spread. Bake for 42-43 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool fully before drizzling it with the lemon glaze. After glazing, allow the loaf to sit for a few minutes afterwards so that the glaze will firm up.*Lemon Glaze: Combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 3 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice with a fork until very smooth*