Vegan Marble Cake
This easy and super moist vegan marble cake is the easiest to make ever. It certainly gives the appearance of being complicated to make. But let me assure you that it’s not at all!
This recipe is actually one of the first recipes I created as a beginning food blogger. So hopefully, that should help set your mind at ease.
As I mentioned earlier, this marble cake is so easy and fun to make (especially with kids). And along with being perfectly moist and delicious, it’s also dairy-free. But no one will be able to tell at all.
The only dairy-free ingredient that this recipe calls for is milk. So it’s perfectly fine for you to use regular milk instead, if you wish. Or if you’re not vegan..
I’m sure you can’t wait to make this vegan marble cake now – am I right? On the plus side, this loaf is so pretty too – perfect for serving to your guests.
What Kind of Cake Is a Marble Cake (or loaf)?
A marble cake by definition, is a cake that is made by incompletely mixing light and dark mixtures (source). If the dark and light mixtures (in this case – vanilla and chocolate) are combined completely, there is no marble effect.
This is why it is very imperative that you only swirl a knife through the batter a few times. If you do it too many times, that pretty marble effect will be lost forever.
Can You Make a Marble Cake With a Box Cake Mix?
First – My Opinion:
Yes, you most definitely can – as it’s pretty easy to do. But I would recommend that you make your marble cake from scratch. It’s twice as fun and fulfilling. And it takes just a little bit longer to make than a box cake mix. Do you really know what ingredients are in most boxed cake mixes?
They’re most often artificial chemical substitutes instead of the real deal. That doesn’t sound too appealing now, does it?
Enough with my opinion already! It’s better that you use an organic or all-natural box cake mix to make your marble cake. Just make sure that it’s a vanilla cake flavor. The chocolate batter will come from adding in some cocoa powder.
Recommended Vanilla Box Cake Mixes
Of course, you can choose to use whatever cake mix you choose. But here are a couple of highly rated recommendations for organic and mostly natural vanilla box cake mixes. They include:
- Miss Jones Baking Co. organic vanilla cake mix – sold online and in some natural foods (ie Whole Foods) stores.
- European Gourmet Bakery organic vanilla cake mix – can order online.
Box Cake Mix Marble Cake Instructions:
To use a box mix to make a marble cake, just take about 3/4 – 1 cup of the batter and add to a small bowl. Add in 1 – 1 1/2 tbsps of cocoa powder and combine (with a fork) until the batter is mostly smooth.
Fill your cake pan(s) with the remaining vanilla batter. Then take spoonfuls of the chocolate batter and add to the vanilla batter in different spots.
After that, use a knife to swirl the chocolate batter through the vanilla batter only a few times. Proceed to bake the cake according to the instructions on the box.
Vegan Marble Cake Ingredients:
Here are the simple ingredients that you will need to make this delicious marble cake.
*Pan Needed – 9×5 inch Loaf Pan*
- Dairy-Free (or Regular Milk)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cane Sugar
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable/Organic Canola Oil
- Cocoa Powder
I hope that you enjoy making (and eating) this super yummy vegan marble cake. And I would also greatly appreciate any feedback or comments.
You may also be interested in these vegan oat flour cake and vegan chocolate peanut butter cake recipes. They can be easily made non-vegan per your preferences/dietary needs. Thank you so much!
Vegan Marble Cake
- 1 1/2 cups and a tbsp dairy-free (or regular) milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegetable or organic canola oil
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients..
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour-sugar).Add in the milk/vinegar mixture from step 1 along with the applesauce, vanilla extract and oil.Combine batter just until it’s mostly smooth. Make sure that all large flour lumps are gone..
- Add 3/4 cup of the batter to a small bowl along with a tbsp of cocoa powder. Combine until mostly smooth.
- Add the vanilla batter to a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. By the spoonfuls, add the chocolate batter on top of the vanilla batter in different spots.Use a knife to gently swirl the chocolate batter through the vanilla batter a few times (but not too much).
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. After it’s finished baking, cool the cake in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer the loaf to finish cooling on a wire rack before serving.