Best Yellow Vegan Cake Recipe
This super easy yellow vegan cake recipe will definitely be worth your while to make, for sure. Let’s just say: you won’t regret making it for your family or for any special occasion. Or just for your own enjoyment.
I haven’t really seen many recipes for yellow vegan cake. I’ve seen more for vanilla vegan cakes. Therefore I decided to challenge myself to create a vegan yellow cake recipe, and here it is! The first attempt wasn’t successful, but thank God; the second one was.
Why do I call this cake the best? I feel it qualifies due to its super moist texture. Plus, I got it to where the color and taste are very similar to a traditional yellow cake that contains eggs.
You’ll also be surprised at the small amount of sugar this cake has, and it contains healthy extra virgin olive oil as well. As long as you use a light-flavored olive oil, you really can’t taste it in the cake. Otherwise, you can use regular oil if you want to.
This cake is sure to appeal to everyone; whether they’re vegan or not. I mean, it doesn’t taste vegan or like it’s missing something. It tastes like any cake should, and has a normal texture – which is absolutely incredible, by the way.
Chocolate Frosting: The Best Choice
As for the best flavor frosting for this cake? I have to admit that chocolate goes really well with this cake. In fact, the chocolate frosting for this easy vegan chocolate cake would be the perfect choice. But feel free to use whatever flavor you’d like, of course..
Without Eggs, What Gives This Vegan Cake its Yellow Color?
Regarding baking, it’s really amazing how you can substitute one ingredient for another. Since this cake is vegan and doesn’t contain eggs, it normally wouldn’t have a yellow color.
But since this cake should be yellow, I had to find something to give it that color without using an artificial food color. I therefore chose to use turmeric, because it’s naturally derived. In addition, it contains curcumin; which is beneficial for the body’s health in many ways.
*Note*: You may notice an occasional tiny orange fleck here and there in your cake. These flecks are barely noticeable, but just in case you think you did something wrong. It’s just from the reaction of the turmeric with a couple of the other ingredients while baking. Just make sure you combine the turmeric very well with the other dry ingredients, so there won’t be too many.
You Only Need a Tiny Amount of Turmeric..
With my second attempt at creating this yellow vegan cake recipe, I found success by adding just a tiny amount of turmeric(1/8th tsp). The first time, I added 1/4 tsp; but the cake had a weird orange tint – which was the opposite of what I wanted.
By cutting the amount of turmeric in half, I managed to achieve a yellow tone that looked more normal. And people won’t even notice the difference.
How to Make This Vegan Yellow Cake
This cake isn’t hard to make. Not at all. Actually, you’ll only need one bowl to make it. Who’s really a fan of using multiple bowls to make a cake, right?
This cake recipe is easy peasy. But, of course you’d like to know what makes it so easy. First of all, it makes things easier to gather all of your ingredients together beforehand. And it helps you to make sure that you have everything you need.
As for the cake making process, you’ll only need to combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. You can use a whisk for better incorporation. I’ve also used a stainless steel fork on occasion. Whatever works best for you..
After that, it’s just a matter of adding in the wet ingredients and combining all the ingredients together. Then adding the batter to the baking pan to bake. Told you it’s too easy.
Best Yellow Vegan Cake Recipe Ingredients:
You really don’t need many ingredients for this cake. You would only have to buy some turmeric if you normally don’t use it. Read up on the health benefits of turmeric, and you’ll want to use turmeric more often.
- All Purpose Flour
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a bright golden (ish) color, and is usually in a powder form.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cane Sugar: Or granulated sugar. I only use cane sugar in my recipes, as it’s less processed. But you can use regular sugar, if that’s what you usually use.
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Just a couple of tsp to help ensure a light fluffy texture. You can’t taste it at all in the cake.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: If you’re not keen on using it, you can use regular oil instead. To me, it doesn’t really affect the flavor of the cake, and it makes the cake more healthier at the same time. Try it, and see how you like it..
- Dairy-Free or Regular Milk: If you prefer, you can use whatever milk you usually use for baking.
More Delicious Cake Recipes For You to Try
Thank you so much for considering trying out this yellow vegan cake and other easy dessert recipes. I’d love it if you leave a rating/review on how it worked out for you. Thanks, and be blessed!
Best Yellow Vegan Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar and an extra 2 tbsp add a tad more sugar if you prefer your cake to be sweeter
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp light tasting extra virgin olive oil or sub regular vegetable oil or organic canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups and 1 tbsp milk of your choice (dairy-free or regular) *Add an extra couple of tsp if needed. The batter will be slightly thicker than most cake batters*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8×8 inch square baking pan with oil. Set aside.Add all of your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Combine very well using a whisk or a stainless steel fork.
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients. Combine until a thick(ish) batter forms. You don’t have to combine too much, just enough to make sure all the flour is evenly incorporated. Also, make sure to scrape any flour from the bottom of the bowl into the rest of the batter.*Some small lumps will remain in the batter*
- Add the batter to the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly.Let the batter sit for 5 minutes, if possible; so the apple cider vinegar can activate. This will help to ensure a good rise and a light fluffy texture for the cake.
- After the five minutes, place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 31-32 minutes. Or until a toothpick tests clean.Allow the cake to cool fully before frosting.