Easiest Dairy-Free Cornmeal Cake
With this easiest dairy-free cornmeal cake recipe – you’re in for a treat. Seriously, this cornmeal cake tastes incredible. You will savor every bite of its fluffy and lightly coarse texture.
*In other words, you can’t tell it’s dairy-free. And for all it’s deliciousness, it’s a pretty healthy cake. I can’t wait for you to see for yourself*
This cake tastes even more amazing with a super easy-to-make vanilla maple frosting (recipe included). I know it may sound odd for a cake to contain cornmeal. But trust me on this one.
A Cornmeal Cake – Really?
Yes, really. And this cake doesn’t taste like you’re eating straight cornbread either. This easiest dairy-free cornmeal cake is moist with only a slight hint of coarseness from the cornmeal.
Don’t knock it till you try it with this cake – I implore you:) With cornbread, you usually have to add a good bit of cornmeal to get that classic coarse and dense texture.
How to Ensure a More Cake-Like Texture
But with this cake, you’re only going to have to add a small portion along with flour (all-purpose). In other words, the majority is flour with only a small amount of cornmeal added.
We want to keep that mostly cake texture here. And for it to have as much of a light texture as possible, so it’ll feel like you’re eating cake; and not cornbread.
Technically, I would say it’s roughly 3/4 flour and 1/4 cornmeal.
The Type of Cornmeal You Use Really Does Matter
The type of cornmeal you use for this easiest dairy-free cornmeal cake, in particular – does matter.
But you’re definitely free to use what kind of cornmeal you want to – fine or coarse.
I’m just suggesting the best cornmeal for this cake regarding the texture we all want. Which is a soft and moist one.
Fine-Textured Cornmeal vs Coarse Cornmeal
Overall, I have a preference for fine textured cornmeal in regards to baking. And I’m not overly keen on eating a super coarse cornbread or cake.
Coarse cornmeal is an acquired taste (at least to me). But some people actually prefer the more coarse texture for cornbread, etc.
I’m just suggesting the best cornmeal type for this cornmeal cake. The choice is all up to you which one you prefer to use.
Super Easy to Make
You can’t go wrong in making this cake. As per the title, this is the easiest cake to make ever. And it’s really easy and fun for kids to make also.
You only need one large mixing bowl and a large fork/spoon to make this easiest dairy-free cornmeal cake. Along with a measuring cup + measuring spoons – of course.
First you will combine or sift together all the dry ingredients in the bowl. After that, you will add in the wet ingredients and combine just until the batter is mostly smooth.
Finally, you will add the batter to a baking pan and bake. So easy..
Don’t Worry – Some Lumps Are Normal
As this cake is made by hand, it’s normal to see some small lumps remaining after combining everything. As long as the lumps aren’t really big (if they are, break them up), the batter is fine.
Easiest Dairy-Free Cornmeal Cake Ingredients
I’m sure that you have most of the ingredients for this cake on hand already. They’re pretty simple and basic – including the ingredients for the frosting. Take a look!
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cornmeal: (Fine – recommended or coarse)
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Regular Cane Sugar
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Vanilla Extract
- Small Amount of Oil: Such as vegetable oil, organic canola oil, etc.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Milk (Dairy-free or regular)
Vanilla Maple Frosting Ingredients:
- Powdered Sugar
- Softened Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Dairy-Free or Regular Milk
Other Cornmeal Recipe Suggestions
While you’re here, won’t you check out these other cornmeal recipes? One is this vegan cornbread recipe.
This cornbread is moist and delicious – also so easy to make. And you can easily make it with regular dairy ingredients if you’re not vegan.
Another cornmeal recipe are these super delicious vegan cornmeal pancakes. Oh my gosh, these pancakes are so moist, fluffy and wholesome! You have got to try them out.
And they too can be easily made with regular dairy ingredients for a just as delicious non-vegan option.
Ok, so I really hope you enjoy this easiest dairy-free cornmeal cake.
If you have any questions or feedback, I encourage you to let me know in the comment section below. Thank you so much and God bless:)
Easiest Dairy-Free Cornmeal Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (fine -recommended or coarse) cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + extra tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp light cooking oil
- 1 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups + extra tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine or sift together all of the dry ingredients (flour – sugar).
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients (applesauce – milk). Combine just until mostly smooth. Add batter to greased 8×8 inch baking pan, making sure to smooth the top.Bake from 28-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick if needed, to make sure it’s fully done. Allow the cake to cool fully before frosting.
- Vanilla Maple Frosting InstructionsIn medium/large bowl add 1 cup and 1 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar, 3 tbsp softened butter, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tsp milk (dairy or dairy-free).Using a hand mixer on medium-high, combine the ingredients for a few minutes until the frosting is very smooth.(You shouldn’t have to add more milk, but if you have to – just add a tiny bit more. You don’t want the frosting to be too thin – or it will melt into the cake)