Oat Flour Donuts
These oat flour donuts (aka doughnuts) are truly the perfect dessert. And they taste pretty amazing.
On top of that, the chocolate glaze adds an incredible flavor and gives the donuts such a pretty look.
Your family and friends will be so surprised when you tell them they’re healthy. With these donuts, healthy and delicious definitely go hand in hand.
As I’m sure you’re wondering; these donuts are moist, fluffy, and taste so good! The oat flour is the main contributor of the moistness.
About Oat Flour
If you haven’t used oat flour before, it’s pretty much sold in most grocery stores; in the baking section.
In the past, it wasn’t as readily available as it is now. It definitely has grown in popularity in recent years because of its heart healthy benefits.
You can also easily make your own oat flour if you have a high power blender and some oats on hand.
There’s nothing to it. All you need to do is add the desired amount of rolled or instant oats to the blender. Then process it for a few minutes until it’s a powder form. That’s pretty much it.
Another Thing You’ll Love About These Donuts
Another great thing about these oat flour donuts, is that they’re baked and not fried. And be sure to check out this easy no-yeast baked donuts recipe as well.
Both of these donut recipes are easy to make, by the way. This is in addition to them not having to be fried in a large amount of oil, which isn’t healthy at all.
Lastly, they are way lower in calories than most other fried donuts; which is a huge plus. So you can get away with eating one or more without any guilt.
Moderation is Key When it Comes to Fried Foods..
It’s okay to eat fried foods on occasion, but only in moderation. Your heart will thank you for it:) Thankfully most baked donuts taste just as good as fried ones, though.
There’s only a slight difference if any in taste and texture. And adding a glaze or other toppings helps them to taste even better..
In other words, these donuts may not taste like your average Krispy Kreme doughnut. But they have their own special appeal that everyone’s sure to notice.
It’s just Plain Fun to Make Your Own Donuts:)
There, I said it. What is more fun and exciting than to make your own homemade donuts? It’s more convenient to just buy some already prepared, of course.
But there’s just no denying the gratification of knowing you made them yourself. Also, you know what ingredients are in them – which means a lot to most people these days.
How to Make These Oat Flour Donuts
It’s much quicker to make baked donuts over fried overall. You don’t need to get out a frying pan, oil, etc.
Usually a large mixing bowl is all that’s needed for you to combine the ingredients in. Along with the necessary supplemental stirring utensil and measuring cup/spoons.
In addition, you will need a donut pan (like this one) to bake the donuts in. This chocolate glazed oat flour donuts recipe is pretty simple.
After combining the ingredients in the mixing bowl, you will then add the batter into the donut pan cavities. There are a couple of ways that you can do this.
Two Usual Methods..
The first way (my usual method) is to scoop out the batter with a spoon and add it into the donut pan. Then smooth the batter around until the donut cavity is filled evenly.
Another way that I’ve read about, is to use a piping bag to add the batter to the pan. I’ve never tried doing it this way, but it sounds very doable.
Whichever method you use, it’s fairly straightforward and easy to make baked donuts; as you can see.
Oat Flour Donuts Ingredients
I won’t trouble you much further about these donuts, as I’m sure you can’t wait to get baking! Here are the ingredients that you need to make them. I’ve also listed the chocolate glaze ingredients for you.
I’m sure you have most, if not all of them on hand already. Oh, and by the way; if you’re vegan you can substitute nondairy ingredients instead of dairy ones.
The only ingredient that you need to sub for this recipe is the milk. Any unsweetened plant-based milk should work.
- Oat flour
- All Purpose Flour
- Salt: A small amount that’s necessary for flavor and to balance out the taste .
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sugar: Any regular cane sugar is fine, or try using coconut sugar.
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Light Cooking Oil: Such as organic canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
- Milk: You can use regular or unsweetened dairy-free milk.
- Chocolate Glaze Ingredients: Includes powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and your choice of milk.
I’m excited to hear what you think about these oat flour donuts. If you have any questions, feedback, etc., let me know. Thanks and God bless:)
Oat Flour Donuts
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 cup + 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract (almost a full tsp)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp light cooking oil such as organic canola, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
- 3/4 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp dairy or unsweetened dairy-free milk
- Chocolate Glaze Ingredients: 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 5 1/2 tsp milk.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease the doughnut pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour (s), salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar very well.
- Add in the vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, oil and milk. Combine until the batter is mostly smooth. There will be some smallish lumps remaining.
- Fill the donut pan cavities 3/4 full of the batter. Don’t fill it all the way to the top, or the donuts won’t form a hole in the middle.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Test with a toothpick to confirm that they’re done. *If you’re using a 6 cavity donut pan, remove the donuts and let them on a wire rack while you bake the remaining 4 donuts.Make sure to grease the donut pan again before adding the rest of the batter*
- Allow the donuts to cool for a few minutes before glazing them. After glazing them, let them sit for a few minutes afterwards so the glaze can set properly.
- Chocolate glaze:Add the ingredients for the chocolate glaze (powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk) to a medium bowl. *Or you can sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together first before adding in the milk, to get all the lumps out*Combine with a stainless steel fork until the glaze is really smooth. That’s it..