Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes
You’re going to want to make these oatmeal blueberry pancakes again and again. Matter of fact, I’m sure your family will request them quite often.
Why do I say all of this? Well, because these pancakes are absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Also secretly healthy as well. I’m sure you’ll also like this vegan applesauce pancakes recipe. Or even this easy vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes recipe.
Making Your Own Pancakes From Scratch is Super Easy..
Instead of using a boxed pancake mix, why don’t you try out this oatmeal blueberry pancakes recipe instead? You won’t regret it, for sure!
You’ll find that there’s nothing hard about making your own homemade pancakes. In fact, it’s just as easy to make pancakes from scratch, as it is to use a mix.
Additionally, you can add whatever you want to your pancake mix; such as blueberries, chopped nuts, etc. This gives them your own personal touch, and adds more of an interesting flavor and texture.
Another Healthy Pancake Add-In: Ground Flaxseed
Beside the usual add-ins that I mentioned above, you can also sneak some ground flaxseed into your pancakes. Ground flaxseed adds a healthy dose of omega 3s, and is tasteless in foods.
Therefore, no one will be able to tell that they’re eating healthy pancakes. Except for you, of course. And you don’t even need to add a lot of the flaxseed if you don’t want to.
This oatmeal blueberry pancakes recipe calls for 1 1/2 tbsp of ground flaxseed. But you can add less if you’re not familiar with it, or for your own preference. Or even just leave it out if you’d prefer.
But adding some in really ups the nutritional content, which is always a good thing. And it helps to start out your day on the right foot.
Homemade Pancakes Compared to Shortcut Boxed Pancake Mixes..
As for boxed pancake mix, I’m not saying it’s bad in any way. It’s definitely convenient for when you’re short on time. With some of them, all you need to do is add water; which is pretty cool.
On the other hand, you can make your own homemade pancakes in almost the same amount of time. And it only takes a few simple ingredients to make them.
Also it’s so fun and an accomplishment to make pancakes from scratch. Now, don’t get me wrong. There are some great pancake mixes out there that are close to homemade.
And they don’t contain any artificial ingredients, which is a big plus. Arrowhead Mills (one of my fave brands) has some great organic pancake mixes you may be interested in. That is, if you don’t have time to make your own..
How to Make These Blueberry Flax Oat Pancakes:
There’s really only 3 steps to making these yummy pancakes. Most other simple homemade pancake recipes usually involve this same process.
And you only need one large bowl, which makes things even better.
Step 1 – The first step involves combining all of the dry ingredients together in the bowl. It’s best to use a fork here, as it helps to break up any large lumps. Or you can sift them together if you prefer.
Step 2 – This step, of course; involves adding in the liquid (or wet) ingredients to the dry ingredients.
You don’t want to overdo it with the mixing part. Just make sure to stir everything until the batter forms.
There’s going to be some small lumps remaining no matter what. As long as the large ones are gone, and the batter is mostly smooth; you’re good to go.
Step 3 – This last step usually consists of adding in any add-ins. In this case, we’re adding in blueberries. Fresh blueberries work best, as they’re less likely to break up and bleed into the batter.
But you can still use frozen blueberries if you prefer. Just make sure that they’re frozen solid before you add them in to the batter.
If they start to thaw, the batter will be discolored, or turn bluish. Hey, nothing wrong with that though; right?
Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour
- Quick (Instant) Oats: I use quick oats in my recipes more often than old-fashioned oats. This is because the texture is smaller and more easy to chew and digest. This is only my preference. You can certainly try using old-fashioned oats if you prefer.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sugar: You don’t necessarily have to add it. I just like my pancake batter a tad sweet sometimes.
- Cinnamon (optional): But you know how blueberries and cinnamon go together..
- Ground flaxseed
- Apply Cider Vinegar: Helps to give more fluffiness to the pancakes. This recipe is egg-free. Therefore it needs extra help from the acv (along with the baking powder and baking soda) to help them rise properly.
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries are preferred, but you can use frozen also. Just make sure they’re all the way frozen before adding them to the batter.
- Oil: As in organic canola oil, vegetable oil, etc. Only a small amount (2 tsp) is needed..
- Dairy or dairy-free milk
I would love to hear from you if you’ve tried this oatmeal blueberry pancakes recipe out. I hope it was to your expectations. Thank you so much for stopping by, and be blessed!
Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp quick (instant) oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh (or frozen solid) blueberries
- 2 tsp oil (optional)
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp dairy or nondairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Then place a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet in it. This will help you to keep the pancakes warm as you make them.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine or sift all of the dry ingredients together (flour – ground flaxseed).
- Add in the wet ingredients except for the blueberries (vinegar – milk). Combine with a fork so you won’t have to over stir the batter. Some smallish lumps will remain..Gently stir in the blueberries. Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes if you desire, so the pancakes will be nice and fluffy.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet to low-medium heat. Lightly oil or spray with oil before adding the batter.Cook for two minutes on the first side until lightly browned. Flip over and cook for another minute. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings.