Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
This vegan vanilla mug cake is sure to please any palette. Though it’s healthy, this miniature cake tastes beyond that for sure!
Have you ever eaten a mug cake? I’m relatively new to the concept of eating a cake in miniature form myself. Thanks to my being on Instagram – I first learned about the existence of mug cakes.
What Makes This Mug Cake Perfect:
Mug cakes are the perfect size if you want some cake all for yourself. And a mug cake recipe is usually easy to follow and doesn’t require many ingredients.
The texture of this vegan vanilla mug cake is soft, moist and fluffy – just like a regular cake. In addition, there’s only one little teaspoon of oil. Therefore you can enjoy every delicious bite without zero guilt.
Option to Make This Mug Cake Non-Vegan..
I know the title of this mug cake states vegan, but you can totally make it with regular milk and chocolate chips if you like. It wasn’t my intention to create a vegan recipe without a non-vegan option.
Therefore, no-one is being deprived from this recipe just because they don’t use nondairy products.
Challenge Yourself Sometimes
Previously I steered away from creating mug cake recipes for the microwave. I only created mug cake recipes for oven baking.
This was mainly due to the fact that I didn’t feel up to the challenge of creating a mug cake recipe suitable for making in a microwave. Yes, it took a few times to finally get it right; but I was overjoyed at that first bite!
Ever since that experience I’ve challenged myself to try and create recipes outside of my normal ones, such as this cinnamon roll recipe I recently created: eggless cinnamon rolls. It’s certainly difficult to see beyond that hurdle or mountaintop, but don’t let it hold you back from achieving your goals.
Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake Ingredients
*FYI: You won’t regret eating this mug cake with the easiest chocolate ganache – included in recipe*
- Dairy-Free (or regular) Chocolate chips: Required for the most chocolatey and easy to make ganache.
- Flour: All-purpose or even spelt flour are great choices.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- A little salt
- Vanilla Extract: Essential to add vanilla flavor to the cake.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Leavens the cake and helps it to bake nice and fluffy.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: An amazing sub for an unhealthy amount of oil or butter in many baking recipes.
- Oil: When I do use oil in my recipes, I almost always aim to keep the amount to a minimum.
- Dairy-Free (or regular) Milk: Just by using either one, you can make this mug cake recipe vegan or non-vegan.
As I’ve mentioned previously, you won’t regret making this mug cake. And I welcome any feedback or comments about this vegan vanilla mug cake recipe. Thank you so much!
Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp dairy free or regular chocolate chips
- 2 tsp milk (dairy-free or regular)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose (or spelt) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbsp + 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar/cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp dairy-free or regular milk
- In a very small microwave bowl, combine 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and a couple teaspoons of unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk). Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then set aside to cool and thicken.
- In a small bowl combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the wet ingredients: milk, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla extract. Combine until smooth.
- *Place ramekin on a piece of paper towel beforehand, in case of a little overflow while cooking*Add the batter to a large-sized (11-12 oz capacity) greased ramekin and microwave on high for 2 minute 30 seconds. If needed, microwave for 5 to 10 seconds more.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before spreading some of the chocolate ganache on top.
- *Baking Instructions*If you prefer, you can attempt to bake this mug cake. I would suggest baking it at 350 degrees for around 33-35 minutes. Check the middle with a toothpick first..